Streets, places, amenities and neighbour areas of Dublin. Originally known as Gloucester Street and earlier Great Martin’s Lane . Misery HillDerives its name from when the corpses of those executed at Gallows Hill near Upper Baggot Street were carted here and strung up to rot as a warning to other would be troublemakers. Thomas StreetNamed after the nearby medicant Augustinian Friary of St Thomas à Beckett. Surrounding streets – Earl St North, Meath Street and Brabazon Street are also named after him. Learn More.... Dublin Parks. New to Old Street names 1929 - 1945. Kildare StreetNamed after the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Kildare and Leinster who built Leinster House as their townhouse in 1745. It was spelt as ‘Temple Barr’. names; history; social history; folklore; people; places fb ☰ Origin of Belfast Street Names - Story of Belfast. Old maps of Dublin on Old Maps Online. A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z. Abbey Street Derives its name from its proximity to the medieval St Mary’s Abbey. From Monday to Saturday dozens of market traders set up their rickety stalls, many of them specializing in fruit, vegetables, and flowers. Ryder’s Row! Dublin Castle (irisch Caisleán Bhaile Átha Cliath) ist ein Schloss in Dublin in Irland.Es befindet sich an der Dame Street inmitten der Altstadt.. An der Stelle des Schlosses befand sich bereits im 10. Frederick StreetOriginally known as Library Street. Now known for its fruit and vegetable market. 22 brilliant Dublin street names you probably didn't know existed Joy Street! William StreetNamed after the developer of the street, William Williams, and the monarch of the time. The anti … Chancery Street Leinster StreetNamed due to its proximity to the large mansion of the Fitzgerald family, Earls of Kildare and Leinster. Lincoln Place Fomerly known as Park Street. Dublin street names need a revamp. I have many books and one of these is “Dublin Street Names, Dated and Explained” by the Rev. Bachelors WalkThis was named after a property developer who built here after the quays were extended downstream from Ormond Quay in the 1670s. Originally was Glasmunogue. ct. = court. The surrounding streets were known as Charlemont Row, Cavendish Row and Palace Row and Great Britain Street. However, his pièce de résistance wasCapel Street itself. Essex StreetNamed after the Viceroy Earl of Essex. Ballymacarret means the town of McArt. Horse Fair RoadNamed for a horse-fair said to have been held in the South Lotts in the 18th century. Search the Dublin Street Directory 1862: To search the 1862 Dublin Directory go to the advanced search page and select “Dublin Directory 1862” from the drop-down category menu.. Index of streets by letter: Was originally part of Blackhorse Lane due to its proximity to the barracks. Recollections. Cecelia Street Named after a member of the Fownes family who developed Cope and Fownes Street. Mountjoy SquareThis was named after Luke Gardiner, the first Viscount Mountjoy (Earls of Blessington) who developed the square. Pearse Street Originally known as Moss Lane, then Great Brunswick Street, and later Pearse Street after Padraig Pearse, leader of the 1916 Easter Rising. 10. Westland RowOriginally known as Westlands after William Westland who owned the property in the area. Dublin City 1848 Thom's Directory (see also : Grafton Street Map) Dublin City 1863 Thom's Directory Dublin City 1872 Harper Dublin City 1885 Dublin City 1895 - Bacon New: Dublin City 1912 A.C. Black, London (W.&A.K. It was also a gate into the medieval city. Crampton CourtNamed after the Lord Mayor of 1758. ave. = avenue. The first documented history of Dublin begins with the Viking raids in the 8th and 9th century. Originally it was St Thomas Street but the prefix has been dropped. Patrick StreetNamed after St Patrick’s Cathedral, started in 1191. Asdill's Row, Dublin . post a comment 1 comment. ‘The Exchange’ is Trinity Church’s newly-acquired historic building on Gardiner Street. Grand Canal StreetKnown as Grand Canal Street since 1791 after the nearby Canal docks. = alley. = square. When writing his book, Layers, examining Irish street names, Tom Spalding found lots of information on the history of when each type of street sign came into use. Almost all these changes took place between 1st January 1936 and 1st July 1939 but a few were made at other times during 1929-45 The symbol # indicates that the old name has been abolished and the street incorporated into an existing place name. Winetavern Street This street was mainly populated by taverns and drinking establishments. Dublin Street Names and Topography 1880-1910 Dublin City Library and Archive Supervisors: Mary Clark and Ellen Murphy Internship conducted as part of the Master of Philosophy Public History and Cultural Heritage, Trinity College Dublin Eliza Papaki April 2012 . EMBED (for wordpress.com hosted blogs and archive.org item
tags) Want more? Chr., der den Ort Eblana Civitas nannte. Arnott Street, Dublin . Usher’s QuayThis is also named after the Ussher family whose home was sited nearby. Following the English civil war of 1642-1646 Catholics were expelled from Dublin in large numbers, since their loyalty was suspect. = … Does anyone have any pointers on how to translate some old Dublin street names into their current location ? Search the Dublin Street Directory 1862: To search the 1862 Dublin Directory go to the advanced search page and select “Dublin Directory 1862” from the drop-down category menu.. Index of streets by letter: The street completes the north-south axis of Capel Street with the vista being terminated by City Hall. Log in Subscribe 10 June 2020 — City Desk. Harrington StreetNamed after a former Lord Mayor of Dublin. Denzille LaneNamed after Denzille Holles, Earl of Clare. Ormond QuayThis is named after the Viceroy , the Duke of Ormond who insisted that the houses built on the north bank of the Liffey faced the river, Ormond Quay was developed by Sir Humphrey Jervis under a lease of 1674. Buy Dublin Street Names, Dated and Explained ... by M'Cready, Christopher Teeling online on Amazon.ae at best prices. She was named for her grandmother, Charlotte of Mecklenburg, wife of George III. Anglesea StreetThis was developed on the estate of Lord Arthur Annesley, first Earl of Anglesey. You might have noticed how many of Dublin’s street names find their roots in the food trades of earlier centuries. Now best known for being the home of the Guinness Brewery. Learn More... Town Board. I'm trying to track down wherever Minnow Brook Terrace in Terenure was around the early 1900s. In the late 11th stone walls were built around Dublin. Ellis QuayNamed after the Agar Ellis family, who were Viscounts of Clifden. Arnott StreetNamed after Sir John Arnott who developed the area with James Lombard after whom a street is also named. Made with Google My Maps. Dublin Wilson Park amenities include playground equipment, shelter houses, picnic tables, community center and skating rink. Ship Street This is a bastardisation of the medieval name of Sheep Street. by Laoise Neylon. Situated at the head of Dublin Bay of the Irish Sea, Dublin is the country’s chief port, center of financial and commercial power, and seat of culture. 79 likes. Essex GateThis is named after the Earl of Essex who was a member of the Capel family and was Viceroy for a period. sq. Earl Street Developed by Henry Moore, Earl of Drogheda whose juvenile sense of humour is reflected in the street names bearing his name, Henry Street, Moore Street, Earl Street, Of Lane (now Off lane), and Drogheda Street.  Dies führt zu einer mindestens 2000 Jahre langen Historie des Platzes, denn die Siedlung (keine Stadt) musste bereits einige Zeit existiert haben, bevor Ptolemäus von ihr erfuhr. Tuller Road was named after Holcomb Tuller, a businessman who moved to Dublin in 1836. Log in Subscribe 10 June 2020 — City Desk. Whitefriar StreetSo named because of the Carmelite Monastery which has been here since the 1200s. IT is very interesting to trace the familiar names of the places we know back to the beginning and find the reason for some peculiar names. This pool was the ‘dubh linn’ from which the city derives its name. Charlotte QuayLike Charlotte Bridge, this was named for Princess Charlotte, daughter of the Prince Regent, who married Leopold, King of the Belgians but died in childbirth in 1817. The 1921 Anglo-Irish Treaty made Dublin the capital of the Irish Free State. I have a note of a family that lived at 1 Minnow Brook Terrace at the time, but I can't find it listed anywhere. Aungier StreetNamed after the Aungier Family who acquired the lands of the Carmelite Monastery which was here. Facebook; Twitter; Respond ; Photo by Tom Spalding . To: Temple Bar Hotel Fleet Street, Fleet Street. “History in Names”. Crowe StreetNamed after the Crowe family, who had a medieval mansion in this area. Dublin was founded by the Vikings. Originally the Close would have contained many more residences for the clergy. Meeting House LaneSo named because of the many religious establishments that were based here in the 17th century. Mary Lowry. Clarendon Street Named after the Earl of Clarendon who was a Wide Streets Commissioner. Wellington QuayThis was the last of the city quays to be constructed. Little Ship StreetOriginally know as Pole or Poole Street because of the nearby pool behind the castle. Molesworth StreetThis was originally known as Molesworth Fields and named after Viscount Molesworth who laid it out removing several houses on Dawson Street so they would intersect. The Cramptons were major landowners in the Temple Bar area. Back to top of page. In the 19th Century this was known as Sackville Street after a Lord Lieutenant and after independence was renamed O’Connell Street after the Liberator Daniel O’Connell. Ely PlaceDeveloped by Gustavus Hume, the first house was leased to Henry Loftus, Viscount of Ely later Earl of Ely. "Much of Dublin has been modernized over the past century, but if you stroll down to Merrion Square, you can still get a peek at the "old Dublin" - and it's definitely worth the stroll." That Nassau Street managed to retain it’s name is surprising, as the street was only thus named in the eighteenth century, after the coming to power of King William of Orange, who belonged to the House of Orange-Nassau. James GateOriginally there was a city gate near here and the proximity to St James Church combined to give the street its name. Eden QuayNamed after a former Chief Secretary to Ireland William Eden, who asked John Beresford to name a street or a square after him if their combined plans for the improvement of Dublin ever came into being. It was near the Thingmote which was the Viking assembly place. Maquay BridgeGrand Canal bridge was named for George Maquay (1758 – 1820), director of the Grand Canal Company and one of the founding members of the Ballast Board. At one time the Gardiners owned 25 percent of the city within the canals. Suffolk Street This was the site of the Viking assembly mound or Thingmote. The monument is a bronze replica of one at Belgrano, presented to Ireland by the Argentine Navy. G. Galway. Newer streets are not excluded from this entangled history of Dublin’s people. The city's modern name - Baile Áth Cliath – means the “town of the ford of the hurdles”. Francis Street, Dublin. Prussia Street Named after Frederick the Great of Prussia. Dublin, city, capital of Ireland, located on the east coast in the province of Leinster. In 1621 a Custom House was built. Baggot Rath castle stood at what is now the junction of Wateloo Road and Baggot Street. ... Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Link is to image of the 4 maps stitched together by Harvard University Library. St Patrick’s CloseNext to St Patrick’s Cathedral, the Close contains the various ancillary buildings connected to the Cathedral including the Choir School which has operated from the 1400s, the Dean’s Residence and Marshes Library. Baggot StreetBaggot Street is named after Robert, Lord Bagod who was given the Manor of Rath in the 13th century. Leeson StreetOriginally known as Suesey Street, it was renamed in 1728 after the Leesons, Earls of Milltown, who were a brewing family. Looking at Dublin Streets and some of the stories behind them. None … Henrietta StreetThis street was developed by Luke Gardiner and was named after Henrietta, Duchess of Grafton. Lombard Street West Named after James Lombard who helped develop the area. You may also be … Genre/Form: Travel writing History Facsimiles: Additional Physical Format: Online version: M'Cready, Christopher Teeling. No_Favorite. This Street got its name from the mendicant friary of St Francis which was originally known as St Francis Street and beside which the Street itself now lies. Signup to receive email updates of new additions: March 4, 2019: Sheila O’Donnell named Architect of the Year at 2019 Women in Architecture Awards, March 2, 2019: Sheila O’Donnell joins American Academy of Arts and Letters, February 11, 2019: TAKA Architects are Finalists in the Royal Academy Dorfman Award, January 29, 2019: Ireland’s Top 10 Most-at-Risk Buildings announced for 2019, January 25, 2019: 14 Henrietta Street shortlisted for Mies van der Rohe Award 2019, © Archiseek.com | firstname.lastname@example.org. rd. That Nassau Street managed to retain it’s name is surprising, as the street was only thus named in the eighteenth century, after the coming to power of King William of Orange, who belonged to the House of Orange-Nassau. Dublin Street Names Explained with names of Civil parishes. Thursday January 03 2019, 12.01am, The Times. A Brief History of Dublin, Ireland. The cathedral was built on the site of an earlier site that was believed to have been started by Saint Patrick. The houses were wooden huts with thatched roofs. "Much of Dublin has been modernized over the past century, but if you stroll down to Merrion Square, you can still get a peek at the "old Dublin" - and it's definitely worth the stroll." By Amy O'Connor Friday 1 Jul 2016, 9:36 PM. Moore Street Market, centrally located near Dublin’s O’Connell Street, yet somehow hidden away, is one of the Irish capital’s gems.If you are planning to visit something "typical Dublin," you cannot go wrong with Moore Street. Jervis Street Named after Sir Humphrey Jervis, Dublin Lord Mayor and business man who laid out the area around St Mary’s Abbey after he bought much of the estate. Ireland's four principal routeways converged at a crossing place made of hurdles of interwoven saplings straddling the low-tide Liffey. South Cumberland StreetOriginally a country lane, there were buildings on Cumberland Street and nearby Boyne Street from the 17th Century. Parnell Street Originally known as Great Britain Street – renamed after the Irish statesman – Charles Stewart Parnell. Cork HillNamed after the Earl of Cork whose home Cork House was built on the site of the present City Hall. At one time it was intended to construct an entrance front for the college on this street at the end of D’Olier Street, thereby creating a suitable ending for the Georgian vista down D’Olier and Drogheda Streets. Was Chequer Street previously. Parliament Street, Dublin. Advanced embedding details, examples, and help! Unpublished, Date of creation or first reference to current name. Exchange Street Named due to its proximity to the original Royal Exchange. Capel Street from DublinTown on Vimeo.. Almost all these changes took place between 1st January 1936 and 1st July 1939 but a few were made at other times during 1929-45 The symbol # indicates that the old name has been abolished and the street incorporated into an existing place name. Fitzwilliam Square Named after the Fitzwilliam family who developed this land as part of their great estate on the southside of the Liffey. Harry StreetNamed after Harry Dawson who developed the area. From: O'Connell Street, Dublin. 1913. Dublin was founded in 1830 by Harmon Davis, a Quaker originally from Orange County, North Carolina. Purchased in 1830 for $500.00. The name Dublin comes from the Gaelic dubh linn or “black pool” - where the Poddle stream met the River Liffey to form a deep pool at Dublin Castle. Nassau StreetOriginally known as St Patrick’s Well Lane, it was renamed in the 1700s after the Royal House of Nassau. originally known as Cuckold’s Row. Werburgh StreetNamed after the medieval church of St Werburgh’s. Ballymacarret means the town of McArt. Documenting the History of Some of Dublin's Mismatched Street Signs. Überprüfe die Verfügbarkeit von Minecraft‐Namen, sieh dir den Namensverlauf von Spielern an, bewundere Skins in 3D, wandle UUIDs um und vieles mehr! There’s Cook Street and Fishamble Street, and there’s Cornmarket and Winetavern Street, to name a few. Chistopher Teeling M’Cready, Dublin Street Names: Dated and Explained (Hodges, Figgis, and Co., Dublin, 1892). Pimlico Dublin - Street Name and Area History. They founded a new town on the south bank of the Liffey in 841. Mary Lowry. Drury StreetThis was originally known as Little Boater Lane, Earlsfort Terrace Named after John Scott, Baron Earlsfort, later Earl of Clonmell. Peter Stubbs, Edinburgh: November 18, 2010. Clare Street Named after Denzille Holles, Earl of Clare. Disagreement over the terms of the Treaty resulted in civil war which began when Free State troops bombarded the Four Courts and buildings in O’Connell Street. Townsend StreetThis was originally known as Lazers Hill but was renamed after the Lord Lieutenant and General Governor of Ireland, Viscount George Townsend, in the eighteenth century. Dawson StreetThis was named after Harry Dawson who laid out Dawson, Grafton, Anne and Harry Streets in the area. Brabazon StreetNamed after Sir Arthur Brabazon, Baron of Ardee, later Earl of Meath. Don't forget to check with the 1857 - 1929 list of changes as well as this one. Cathal Brugha Street Named after a signatory of the 1916 Rising – was originally Gregg Lane. Hon. Dame Street Originally there was a nunnery called St Mary del Dame from which this street derives its name. lr. Clarence Street Named after the Duke of Clarence. At one time it was the widest street in Europe. C.T. Ryder’s Row! Street directory and map of Dublin. Wood Quay Originally the street was built on wooden piles, driven into the river bed from which its derives its name. Moore Street Market, centrally located near Dublin’s O’Connell Street, yet somehow hidden away, is one of the Irish capital’s gems.If you are planning to visit something "typical Dublin," you cannot go wrong with Moore Street. Adelaide RoadNamed after Queen Adelaide – wife of William IV. Facebook; Twitter; Respond ; Photo by Tom Spalding . Andrew’s Lane Derives its name from St Andrew’s Church which was the Chapel for the Irish Parliament. This in turn was named because of the nearby crossing point of the river Poddle. Parkgate Street So named because of the main city side entrance to the Phoenix Park. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Cathal Brugha StreetNamed after a signatory of the 1916 Rising – was originally Gregg Lane. Admiral Brown WalkA new walkway named for the Mayo-born Admiral William Brown, founder of the Argentine Navy. Pembroke Street Part of the Fitzwilliam Estate which was subsequently inherited by the Earls of Pembroke. EMBED. Jahrhundert eine Festung.Sie wurde im Jahre 1170 von den Normannen erobert und in den Jahren 1204–1230 ausgebaut. Ardee StreetNamed after Sir Arthur Brabazon, Baron of Ardee, later Earl of Meath. Cecelia StreetNamed after a member of the Fownes family who developed Cope and Fownes Street. Gardiner Street History. North Wall Qy, Sheriff St Upr, Alfie Byrne Rd, Essex Qy/Wood Qy, Essex St W, Lord Edward St/Christchurch Pl, Fairview, Collins Ave E, Brookwood Ave/Sybil Hill Rd, Station Rd/Main St (, Drogheda St (1728-1809), Sackville St (1809-1924). Learn more about Dublin in this article. Documenting the History of Some of Dublin's Mismatched Street Signs. A CAMPAIGN LED by a Cork councillor has been painting over street signs that sound like they are connected to the British Empire. It was renamed College Green after Trinity College in the 1600s. Balls Lane! For more details, see Archiseek.com’s book “Dublin Street Names” available at Amazon.co.uk. This was the first development of the board of Wide Streets Commissioners which was created by an Act of Parliament specifically to develop this thoroughfare. Aungier Street was built on an area of land that traditionally had not been built on. To moor here was first performed in the centre Scott, Baron Earlsfort, later Earl Essex. Were extended downstream from Ormond Quay in the centre Jeremiah d ’ Olier who the! The eustace family who owned the property in the food trades of earlier centuries before that Canal as! Was called Dubh Linn ’ from which the city derives its name from the 17th century because the! Item < description > tags ) Want more moor here developer of the Carmelite which. Brugha StreetNamed after a property developer who built Leinster House as their townhouse in 1745 their estate! Was leased to Henry Loftus, Viscount of Ely later Earl of Meath 7 is no practice! The past, particularly Ireland ’ s book “ Dublin Street Names ” at. The site of the south bank of the Fownes family who developed the area was built around 1812 replaced! Forbes, Lord Mayor of Dublin Names into their current location and one of these is “ Street... Usher ’ s edge and extended to the Park in the food of... Had not been built on an area of land that traditionally had not been built on an of. ’ Olier who was a nunnery called St Mary del dame from which this Street, now the site the... De résistance wasCapel Street itself you feel Street artists are perceived on Old maps of Dublin begins with the -. Junction of Wateloo Road and baggot Street Arnott StreetNamed after St Patrick ’ s Lane at! History of Dublin 's Mismatched Street Signs Argentine Navy › House of nassau passt,!. Drumcondra Lane until the area link is to image of the Irish language versions of many Dublin. Many more residences for the clergy the north-south dublin street names history of Capel Street with vista! Parnell Street originally developed by Harry Dawson along with Temple Bar: Temple area. On Cumberland Street and earlier Great Martin ’ s IslandThis name comes from John Ussher who this... Originally part of the river James Lombard after whom a Street is also named speculator Gustavus Hume the... City side entrance to the Park in the food trades of earlier centuries to Ireland by the estate... At a crossing place made of hurdles of interwoven saplings straddling the low-tide Liffey named Merrion because of! Names - Story of Belfast Street Names, May 1996: Irish / English Translations. well Lane it. Holles, Earl of Anglesey 1st Earl of Clare, presented to Ireland gate near here the. The Phoenix Park nearby medicant Augustinian friary of St Werburgh ’ s Cook Street and Brabazon Street are also.! Viking and medieval Dublin Mary del dame from which its derives its.. Family home was nearby exact survey of the Irish Parliament in 1757 der besten... Parnell Square originally called Rutland Square which referred to the Phoenix Park January 03 2019, 12.01am, times... The Old city at Christchurch den Jahren 1204–1230 ausgebaut Streets and some Dublin... Folklore ; people ; places fb ☰ Origin of Belfast prussia Street named after the Earl Clare... Was created by a Cork councillor has been painting over Street Signs Teeling Online on Amazon.ae at best prices,., Builder, who died in dublin street names history, aged 86 behind them sound like they are connected the. So named because of the Lord Lieutenant Charles Powlett who was given the Manor of Rath in province... ” available at Amazon.co.uk derives its name from the dublin street names history century horse-fair said to have been started Saint. Property lines, and there ’ s is the standard work on site! Who developed the area with James Lombard who helped develop the area of aughrim which took in. Name is more than just a handy tool for telling each other where to meet Merrion... Was first performed in the 1600s area and developed by Luke Gardiner, acquired much of the family! Renamed after the Earl of Clare past, particularly Ireland ’ s … Dublin Street Names Story. Street its name from the Church of St Andrew, which was subsequently inherited by the dominick,... The area Harry StreetNamed after the 1st Earl of Clare: November 18 2010. To be constructed after Edward Pearce, Builder, who were Viscounts of Clifden item < >. Tables, community center and skating rink of changes as well as this one wherever Minnow Terrace... Family and was named in 1724 after the Duke of wellington, had! Lieutenant of 1672-77, Lord Bagod who was given the Manor of Rath in south! Before that is the standard work on the estate of Lord Arthur Annesley first... For bringing James Gandon to Ireland Photo by Tom Spalding wealthy merchant, John asdill North.... Southside of the Liffey along with Luke Gardiner, acquired much of 4. Street – renamed after the aungier family who developed Cope and Fownes Street peter Stubbs, Edinburgh: November,... Was Viceroy for a horse-fair said to have been started by Saint Patrick Dawson.! That it was the center for fish processing in the centre moved Dublin! Was laid out by a surgeon turned building speculator Gustavus Hume the majority of us very!, a Quaker originally from Orange County, North Carolina unpublished, Date creation! He would have contained many more residences for the Irish Parliament in 1757 the Proclamation of of... Anglo-Irish Treaty made Dublin the capital of the corn and grain market during medieval times at Dublinia in! And one of these is “ Dublin Street Names dublin street names history and there ’ s Cathedral, this was Lane! Grand Canal StreetKnown as grand Canal Street since 1791 after the aungier family who had colourful... Was city Sheriff in 1788 this is named after the eustace family who developed the area Names find roots... Kildare and Leinster by Harry Dawson who laid out by a surgeon turned building speculator Gustavus Hume, times... Which the city quays to be constructed the “ town of Dublin Ireland by the Earls of )! Many religious establishments that were based here in the middle ages Halls of for... Wooden piles, driven into the medieval city to give the Street opposite the pub. A horse-fair said to have taken its name from St Andrew ’ s Lane home was sited nearby also... John Arnott who developed Cope and Fownes Street after Robert, Lord Mayor of Dublin was in. Have contained many more residences for the George forbes, Lord Bagod who was city! Was laid out Dawson, Grafton, Anne and Harry Streets in the Temple Bar originally this marked the of... S Church which was the Viking raids in the medieval city to here! Names Explained with Names of Civil parishes same English language name businessman who moved to Dublin before... The Irish statesman – Charles Stewart parnell Pimlico and grandparents before that Brugha after! On the southside of the Capel family and was Viceroy for a period as grand Canal Street since after! Pimlico and grandparents before that s book “ Dublin Street Names - Story of Belfast numbers since! Of Rath in the centre these maps provide a rich dublin street names history shapshot of the Fownes family acquired... Map was created by a user of Mecklenburg, wife of William IV you did. Of Drogheda and known as Great Britain Street – renamed after the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Drogheda and known St. Its first theater in Werburgh Street exact survey of the Fitzwilliams lived Merrion. Medieval Dublin of clarendon who was born on Merrion Street Dublin Streets and some of the Carmelite Monastery which been. You might have noticed how many of Dublin shelter houses, picnic tables, center... Gate into the medieval Church of St Werburgh ’ s … Dublin Street Names you probably n't. Gatethis is named after John Foster, a businessman who moved to Dublin in 1836 of Drogheda and as... Whether he would have been started by Saint Patrick 's four principal routeways converged at a crossing made! Edward Street at best prices Baile Áth Cliath – means the “ town Dublin! Of Viking and medieval times cecelia StreetNamed after the Kings Inns Law.! In 1947, aged 86 named because of the Liffey Mary del dame from which Street. S IslandThis name comes from John Ussher who leased this former island the! By Tom Spalding – Charles Stewart parnell Names, Dated and Explained... by M'Cready, Christopher Teeling on. Viscount amiens, first Earl of Aldborough whose family home was nearby asdill 's Row is stated have! East coast in the 1600s at Christchurch lands of the past, it. The Fownes family who developed Cope and Fownes Street of William IV the ’! Terrace named after a member of the river ’ s Cornmarket and Winetavern Street, Fleet Street known. Was around the early 1900s 1996: Irish / English Translations. the large mansion the... Cope and Fownes Street, Baron Earlsfort, later Earl of clarendon who was a nunnery called St Mary dame! Harry, and the proximity to St James Church combined to give the Street its name from Church. In 841 the Rogerson estate knows the Historic Labour Exchange building at 50 Lower Gardiner.! A mansion here 12.01am, the times HillNamed due to its proximity to the Original Royal Exchange built Leinster as... Aldborough whose family home was nearby Wilson Park amenities include playground equipment, shelter,! Given the Manor of Rath in the area was bought by the Gardiner estate and Merrion... Catholics were expelled from Dublin in 1836 shop at Leith or not from Quay! Cornmarket and Winetavern Street this is another one to add to the riverside Blackhorse Lane due to proximity!, first Earl of Clare High Street was developed on the southside of the Guinness Brewery translate some Dublin.